Thursday, December 6, 2012

Review: The Reckoning


Title: The Reckoning (The Marenon Chronicles #3)
Author: Jason D. Morrow
Page Count: 365
My Rating: 3.5 TURTLES: A very enjoyable read, I recommend you check it out.

Description:

Held in a dark cell in the heart of Mudavé, Silas Ainsley, the Deliverer of Marenon, meets a new enemy: the Possessor. Silas knows it won't be long before the Stühocs try to kill him, or worse, turn him into an enemy against the very people he is meant to help.

Julian Hobbes has left the throne in Farlaweer in search of the last two medallions of power, knowing that once he has all six, he will be able to use the ultimate weapon against the Stühocs.

With three of the Dunarian council members dead, the Stühoc king, Anithistor, has charged Alric Thirsk with the task of finally destroying the Dunarians for good by killing their leader, Kaden Osric. If Alric fails, his friends will suffer a most torturous fate.

Though the Stühocs are winning the war, Silas has a dream about a man in Mudavé who claims he can help Silas defeat Anithistor and the Possessor. That man also claims to be Silas' father.


 
Review:

The Reckoning is a fast paced, fulfilling ending to the Marenon Chronicles.

Coming to the end of a series can sometimes feel choppy to me, with the author trying to tie all the loose ends together, but I thought that Jason Morrow did a very good job. I felt very satisfied when I turned the last page (or clicked, as the case may be).  This book kept me on the edge of my seat; there was never a dull moment.

One thing that bugged me about this book though, that hadn’t in the previous books was the amount of clichés in it. They are there in the other books, but it finally got me. Generally, I don’t mind the occasional stereotype or archetype – there are a few I quite enjoy to read about – but when I read scenes that are too similar to scenes in other books to be coincidence, I start to become annoyed.

Overall though, I very much enjoyed this series, and if you are looking for a fast-paced adventure, I would definitely recommend you check out The Marenon Chronicles. This not, however, the type of series where you can pick up any of the books and be able to follow everything. There is a very complex storyline, and I had to take a moment to remember some things from when I read the last book in the series several months ago. This is an exciting series I recommend you check out, and I think fans of the previous books will feel very satisfied with the ending.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I will definitely read anything that is left here. Don't be shy, I'd love to know what you are thinking!