Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Guest Post: Debbie Dee The Underground Witch


Welcome to The Howling Turtle's blog stop for The Underground Witch!
Synopsis
As the last of the Incenaga Witches, Emmeline has been tortured and forced to use her power to kill. But unlike the Incenagas before her, she has survived. With her freedom restored, she should feel safe, invincible even. After all, she has the protection of Prince Erick's army and a power strong enough to obliterate any enemy. Yet Emmeline lives in fear for the next person who will try to control her, and no one can seem to find the tyrant threatening to claim her. 

Until it's too late. 

With everything on the line, and the enemy at her throat, will Emmeline be able to use her power like never before? Even if it kills her? 

In The Underground Witch, the second novel of the Incenaga Trilogy, Debbie Dee delivers enough adventure, heartbreak, and suspense to captivate readers at every turn.



The Car of Shame
Thanks so much for having me on your blog again! Several years ago I was rushing around getting ready for church. My husband had left much earlier and had taken “the good car” with him. He claimed it was a mistake, especially since the kids’ car seats went with him, but I knew it was a subconscious aversion to the hunk of junk he had promised to take. “The Car of Shame”, as we called it, had missing hub caps, peeling paint, rotting upholstery, and a screech that could be heard for miles. We avoided it at all costs.
I cringed as I backed it out of my garage and into public view, my children wiggling out of their adult seatbelts. Still under the delusion that I could be on time, I pressed on the gas…and was promptly pulled over for speeding. Suddenly, a stream of “rubber-neckers” appeared, inching along the road to witness the enfolding drama. I sunk into my rotting seats, hoping the crack in the windshield might obscure my identity.
“License and registration,” the cop said.
My mind went blank. “Um, what does the registration look like?”
The cop rolled his eyes. “It has your name on it, proving you own the car.”
“Oh, right.” I flicked open the glove compartment and grabbed a wad of papers. Rifling through them, I gulped the moment I noticed a sharp steak knife tucked between the sheets. Yeah, that’s right, a kitchen knife. Don’t ask me why it was there, because I have no clue. I glanced at the cop, hoping he hadn’t noticed my concealed weapon. I had visions of him pulling me out of the car and slamming my head against the hood as he handcuffed me, the rubber-neckers gawking.
A half hour later, after I talked myself out of turning around and crawling back into bed, I trudged into church with a fat ticket in my purse. I looked around the congregation, looking for the mocking glances. But, there were no pointing fingers or quiet snickers, just warm smiles and kindly nods. It seemed no one cared that I drove a hunk of junk, that my children were climbing over the seats, or that I had a minor encounter with the law. What mattered was that I hadn’t turned around and given up.  
I recently blogged about how nervous I was to write a sequel on Kellie’s blog, Snarky Bird, Uber Nerd. So many readers loved The Last Witch–they talked about it and shared it with their friends—but what if The Underground Witch was a big fat failure? What if it became “The Book of Shame”? Sometimes I wanted to hide my manuscript in the garage, so to speak, but I knew I couldn’t just turn around and give up. I’m sure I will run into plenty of “cops” who will tell me all the things I have done wrong in my writing. That’s okay. I hope to learn from them and the many other speed bumps I’ll hit along the way. And then I hope to keep truckin’ along, doing what I love and bringing new stories to life.  


Buy The Underground Witch on Amazon


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I will definitely read anything that is left here. Don't be shy, I'd love to know what you are thinking!