Friday, December 4, 2015

Author Interview: Dan Buri

Thank you for hosting me on your site, Larissa. You have a wonderful blog! This is a great place for us all to indulge in our shared love of reading and writing, isn’t it? Thank you for your excellent content. I am grateful to be here and hopefully I have the opportunity to get to know your audience better. I am a Portland native just like you, so it’s great to be speaking with a great blogger from the Pacific Northwest!
 
As both a writer and reader, what do you want to see more of?
How do you get inspired?

I find inspiration in my everyday life. I think good writers have a unique gift of empathy. They work hard to understand another person’s pains, hopes, dreams and fears. I really try to understand each person that I encounter in my life. These experiences tend to inspire me and seep into my writing.

 Could you talk a bit about your writing process?

Once upon a time I thought I needed to write in a particular time and place. I would typically write at night and need to be in the perfect mood to do so. With a very demanding job, a wife, and two-year-old daughter, however, I quickly found that I was not finding much time to write at all. I had to begin writing anytime I could find a free 30 minutes. I was lucky I did too.

I think young writers always wait for the moment of inspiration to strike. These moments are amazing, but they are a great luxury. The truth, in my opinion, is that writing is as much about editing and revising as it is about the writing itself. I have so many pages of Pieces Like Pottery on the cutting room floor, so to speak. Maybe editing is a beautiful and inspiring process for some people, but for most writers I know, it is painstaking. There’s nothing inspirational about it for me. Having very little time to write each day helped me to begin taking my writing to the next level, to learn to hone it as a craft, rather than writing simply being an inspirational hobby. I had to find time to write whenever I could, regardless of whether the circumstances were perfect.

That being said, I still love to write at night over a glass of wine or a fine whiskey. Nothing beats that.

Are you currently working on any projects?

It depends on what you mean by “working on.” I am not actively writing my second book, but the wheels are constantly turning in my head. There are a couple of ideas underway.

What is something that surprises people about you?

I think many people are surprised to learn I’m attorney in my “day job.”

What section of a bookstore do you go to first?

Interesting question. As you know, Larissa, we are both lucky enough to live near the world’s largest used bookstore here—Powell’s City of Books. I like to visit their recommended reading shelves. That would probably be my first stop. I like to read most any genre, whether fiction or non-fiction. It’s less about the genre for me, than it is whether the book was recommended from a trusted source.



Thank you, Larissa! I have appreciated this opportunity to spend some time with you and your readers. I loved it! You have a wonderful site. I really do hope you and some of your readers will check out my book. I need the support of thoughtful and intelligent readers like yours. The life of an indie author is not easy and I appreciate all the support I can get. And if your readers have questions or comments, please contact me. I would love to hear from your fans and readers. You can reach me via email at danburi777 [at] gmail [dot] com or on twitter @DanBuri777. Thanks!


Author Bio
Dan Buri's first collection of short fiction, Pieces Like Pottery, is an exploration of heartbreak and redemption that announces the arrival of a new American author. His writing is uniquely heartfelt and explores the depths of the human struggle and the human search for meaning in life. 

Mr. Buri's non-fiction works have been distributed online and in print, including publications in Pundit Press, Tree, Summit Avenue Review, American Discovery, and TC Huddle. The defunct and very well regarded Buris On The Couch, was a He-Says/She-Says blog musing on the ups and downs of marriage with his wife.

Mr. Buri is an active attorney in the Pacific Northwest and has been recognized by Intellectual Asset Magazine as one of the World's Top 300 Intellectual Property Strategists every year since 2010. He lives in Oregon with his wife and two-year-old daughter.

Pieces Like Pottery Links
Currently at promotional pricing!







1 comment:

I love comments, and I will definitely read anything that is left here. Don't be shy, I'd love to know what you are thinking!